Ian Vaithilingam
Classroom Teacher - Mattagami First Nation

Hi there! My name is Ian and I’m the teacher-mentor at Mattagami First Nation. I will also be teaching math, physics, and general science courses online. This is my second year teaching with KiHS, so I’m still pretty new here. I’m looking forward to working with all of you this year!

My family is scattered around the world – my father is East Indian from South Africa, and my mother is Irish. I was born in Ireland but we moved to Canada when I was young.

I grew up in Northern Ontario in the city of Timmins, Ontario – not from from Mattagami First Nation. My parents and sister still live in Timmins.

I studied a little bit of everything in university and I love learning – math and physics were my favourite subjects. I love helping others understand how the Universe works.

After university, I taught physics and mathematics for many years at the same school in Toronto. Though I do miss the excitement of the city sometimes, I’m happy to be back in the North close to the place I was raised.

Outside of teaching, I love listening to and playing music – I play guitar, piano, bass, and drums. Please feel free to share your favourite music with me – I’m always looking for something interesting and new to listen to. I also really enjoy the outdoors (hiking, canoeing, snowboarding).

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions, or just to say hi:  ianvaithilingam@edu.knet.ca. You can also message me on Moodle, or give me a call at 1-800-387-3740, extension 1333.

Ian Vaithilingam