Ian Vaithilingam
Classroom Teacher - Mattagami First Nation

Hi! My name’s Ian and I’m the teacher-mentor at Mattagami First Nation. This is my first year teaching with KiHS – I’m really looking forward to working with all of you!

I grew up not far from Mattagami First Nation, in the city of Timmins, Ontario – most of my family is still there! I left Timmins when I was 18 years-old to go to university in Hamilton, Montréal, and Toronto.

I studied a little bit of everything in university, though I ended up specializing in physics – which is still my favourite subject to teach. I love learning about how the Universe works, as well as helping others understand how it works.

After university, I taught physics and mathematics for 14 years at the same school in Toronto. Though sometimes I do miss the city, I’m excited to be back in the North close to the place I was raised.

Outside of teaching, I love listening to and playing music – I play guitar, piano, bass, and drums. Sometimes I sing, but I’m a little shy! Please feel free to share your favourite music with me – I’m always looking for something interesting and new to listen to. I also really enjoy the outdoors (hiking, canoeing, snowboarding).

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions, or just to say hi:  ianvaithilingam@edu.knet.ca.
Photos: 
Image: 

Ian Vaithilngam