Becca Letkeman

Land Based Lead

Hello, Booshoo, Waachiye -

My name is Becca and this is my first year with KiHS as the Land-Based Learning Lead.  For the past year and a half I've been the Graduation Coach. I'm really looking forward to traveling to your Community and having some laughs in the bush! Inside too, I guess :)

As the Land-Based Lead I'll be connecting with Community members, local knowledge keepers, KiHS teachers, and elders to plan lessons and trips outside.  I will also be working side-by-side with the Language and Culture Lead, Kathleen Koostachin, and Wellness workers Margarita Quill and Rhonda Kakegamic.

For myself, I have always loved being outside.  From a young age I camped with my family and was always busy taking pictures of, and identifying, flowers, mushrooms, and lichen.  As an adult I pursued a degree in Forestry from Lakehead University, but after a few years discovered that Natural Resource Management wasn't for me! At least not in the conventional sense.  I currently live in Red Lake where I enjoy adventuring in/on any combination of a prospector tent, canoe, kayak, cross-country skiis, snowshoes, or (most recently), a motor boat!  This past summer I lived in my tent for a month in Manitoba - I was so very sad to move back into a house with solid walls and a real floor.

I look forward to learning from you and with you, and having some fantastic adventures this year!

Becca Letkeman