Maureen Wainwright
Classroom Teacher
Nibinamik

My name is Maureen Wainwright. And I am the classroom mentor / teacher in Nibinamik. I love learning and helping others to learn. It is a true passion of mine. This is my first year teaching in the north; it is something though that I have had my heart set on doing for a long time. This fall I was fortunate enough to spend time in Bearskin Lake and Fort Severn. Now I am in Nibinamik. I have loved the last few months in my new community and spending time getting to know my students. 

I was born and raised in North Bay, I moved to Ottawa when was 10. I lived there until I went University in Kingston and then Toronto. I taught my first two years in British Columbia in Prince George and Kitimat before returning to Ottawa. I had both my children Sam and Natalie there. They are grown now; Sam is a PhD student and Natalie is a teacher like me. I taught for the OCSB for 30 years. I taught everything from JK to Adult Literacy, ESL and special education; for a few years I was even an on-line learning instructor. I used to say that my favourite grade to teach was grade 4. I have changed my mind since coming in Nibinamik. I have decided that I am really drawn to adult learners. I think they are very brave and courageous. 

I like sports: watching, helping organize tournaments, etc., and participating in them. Last summer I ran a "try-a-tri" with my daughter. I also really like being with horses and am a volunteer "side-walker" with a therapeutic riding program back in Ottawa. I am an avid traveler. I have traveled across Canada - a few times, through much of the United States and to Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica, Ireland - many times, England, Wales, France, Italy, Germany and Luxembourg and Kenya. I would say that my other hobby is being outdoors / in nature. I like to spend as much time as I can outside, in the bush and/or by water - which is another bonus when you teach up north. 

I look forward to meeting you either virtually or in person and working with you. Please free feel to contact me at maureenwainwright@edu.knet.ca or 807-738-2128

Maureen Wainwright